Monday, September 17, 2007

I trip me up

My current dilemma is this: I'm unemployed and it won't be long until I'm completely out of money. The car payment and October's rent will pretty much put me in the gutter. That said, I've been offered a job. The upside is that it's with Red Eye Distribution, a major music distributor/a brother company to Yep Roc Records. Nick Lowe, Billy Bragg and Paul Weller are three of the old farts on the label (and my favorites to boot!), and The Minus Five and The Apples In Stereo are as well. I'll get a lot of free music. I'll work with people who have similar interests. The bad part is that it's 45 minutes away. It pays $7.50 an hour. It's a job in the warehouse/shipping/packing department. Now, I was told this is how most of the employees get started. That's fine, but it's not a financially feasible option for me with gas prices as they are now, and since I'm considering selling my car I don't want to pack on the miles.

My solution: I work at the job for a couple weeks and continue to search for a "real" job, or at least a better job, in the Raleigh area. If I can find another Red Eye/Yep Roc employee who lives in Raleigh and is willing to carpool, then I won't be in such a hard place.

I regret submitting my resume to the company; the job itself will be a lot of fun, I think, but it will be a difficult journey to and from work, and the pay won't make up for it. I didn't realize the place was so far away--the Triangle is goddamn enormous. But when the opportunity to work in the music industry (if a warehouse job counts) presents itself to me, it's one I can't readily turn down. It used to be my dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Myspace
  • Facebook
  • .
  • .