Wednesday, September 13, 2006

This one needs this name, and so it is

Huh, well, I came back to Virginia. Don't ask me why, it just felt like the easiest thing to do. Maybe I'm weak, immature, and this move indicates my unwillingness to face the weight of adulthood. Responsibility, we're not made for each other. Okay, that's not the entire truth, but shit, I can't keep anything straight beyond my music and book collections. Bills? I'll work on it.

The good news is, I'm not attempting to sell life insurance anymore. Trying to sell anything would make me feel scummy, but this job in particular made me feel like I was whoring away my sole and my principles, my anti-capitalistic stance and humanist idealism carelessly left out in winter's breath. Can't do it, won't do it. Stepping into the homes of the working poor isn't a task I want to repeat, at least not on the grounds of business. Upon my return to Radford, an old professor and I chatted for a few minutes about my Texas jaunt, and we shared the same sentiments about the insurance biz. He told me that he knew I couldn't successfully work a job like that; we've had numerous bouts of small talk on the state of the nation and basic personal philosophies, and we're pretty much on the same plane when it comes to those matters.

I've got a year to drift, or do whatever, so long as I cover my bills. Freelancing looks like it's peering out from behind a dingy dumpster in my moonlit alley, and I'm happy with its pennies for payment. Hey, it's experience, right? Substitute teaching might be hanging from a fire escape, looking for a place to land, and I'm here, arms wide open and braced for impact.

A year of reflection, or preparation, or some combination of the two has to be the ultimate goal, for next year probably holds graduate school. Radford University may be opening its doors for my lack of ambition, but this time it'll be the English Department. A writer, is that what I'm gonna be? Doubtful, but I wouldn't mind teaching it. I'm too self-conscience and boring to be a teller of tales, but I can't my existence useful for anything beyond passing my limited knowledge down to others. Teaching people how to think is my aim, but I won't inundate you with a spiel on why the majority of today's youth (and adults, too) lack the ability to see beyond what's in their immediate field of vision. Thin Lizzy sang about a jailbreak, I want to show people how to yank the keys off the fat, dishonest, lazy prison guard.

See you soon, darling.

- Fright Zone

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam Frazier said...

Finally, this blog receives an update - I can't blame you on leaving Austin, the job sounded like it sucked ass and besides, no way that place can out-do Marion in the first place.

I'm freelancing here and there, mainly for the Roanoke Times and doing dvd and film reviews for MovieWeb - it's decent I suppose.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Myspace
  • Facebook
  • .
  • .