Thursday, December 28, 2006

Plans changed

This past weekend, Gillian and I ventured to Asheville. No mission objective, just getting out of town for a few hours and enjoying the drive. I managed to acquire a few things--some zine I have yet to read, a Crimethinc mag, and a collection of some of Edward Abbey's writings. She got a book with some of Plato's writings and Slaughterhouse-Five (I was proud about that.)

Anyway, what transpired on this mini-trip was the decision to re-route the coming years to North Carolina instead of Virginia. Gillian can transfer to NC State and save a lot of money (she's out-of-state at Radford University), and I can avoid coming back to school at RU. Right now, the plan is for the both of us to move to Raleigh sometime during the coming summer, possibly living together. I'll have to live in the state for a year to gain that status which lowers my tuition costs, and I plan on trying to enter the English graduate department at NC State the following year.

This change of plans sets me back another year on entering a master's program, which is bothersome and unnerving. Simultaneously, it should give me a greater sense of freedom and exposure to culture. I guess. I don't think I could tolerate another two years in Radford; the students are rarely engaged in their studies, the school itself doesn't tend to cater to intellectual growth outside of the classrom, and finally, most of the people I cared about here have moved on or fallen out of my graces (or I out of theirs).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Myspace
  • Facebook
  • .
  • .